Spitfire U-joint Lubrication

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire U-joint Lubrication
From: "George Fisher" <HW1.GFISHER@HW1.CAHWNET.GOV>
Date: 06 Sep 1996 15:02:15 PST
Comment: HW1 GFISHER 09/06/96 15:02:41 HW1SSW1

On Fri, 6 Sep, Jonathan Miles <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk> asked:

What kind of grease fittings do you have at present? There seems to
be four different types of U.J available. 1. sealed for death, non-
greasable, 2. greaseable with a hole plugged with a set screw, 3.
greasable with a short grease nipple. 4. greaseable with a long
grease nipple. If you buy the latter (eg from Moss europe) you need
to also buy a set screw to fit the grease hole because you cannot
drive with the long grease nipple in place. However it does make
lubrication very easy. Certainly no disassembly should be involved. I
believe that places like Moss sell a range of grease nipples for this
type of application.
<<<<<

The spares I've purchased recently come with a grease nipple
which is so long that it would hit the yoke if left in place. If I replace
it with a short nipple, there doesn't seem to be enough room between
the yokes to get a grease gun on the nipple, and I've never seen a
"screw-in" adaptor for the grease gun that would allow me to remove
the setscrew or nipple, screw in the adaptor and pump in some grease.

Then  luchette@APPLE.COM wrote:

Also, is it possible to leave the grease nipple on the u-joint. When I
assembled mine, it looked like it would interfere with the drive shaft
yokes which is why I left it off and sealed it with a set screw.

It looks to me that if you just raise the wheel there should be
sufficient space between the yokes to lube the joint.
<<<<<

I always put the car up on jack stands when I work on it, so of course
the rear axles "droop" and further restrict access to the grease nipples on
the axle u-joints. I'll drive by the local JiffyLube joint, where they work
in a pit, to see if keeping the suspension loaded leaves enough space
between the yokes to get the grease gun on the short fitting.

Good thinking!