RE: O.D. "WOW"

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: O.D. "WOW"
From: PiJay@t-online.de (Peter Juergens)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 96 14:56 +0100
 Patrick McMullen wrote:

I have good news to report.

CF 29251 U is on the road again!

This morning I pulled off the sump cover and removed the screen.  The
screen was fairly dirty.  I found some metal shavings, some paint chips
and what appeared to be gasket sealer compound in the sump.  I flushed
the screen and it came clean.  Next I had to figure out how to fabricate
a Churchill tool # L-592A from something in my basement.  This is
required to remove the three threaded plugs from the OD body.  I was able
to remove the plugs along with the relief valve, pressure filter, and the
non-return valve and seat.  Again the pressure filter was fairly filthy.
I cleaned all the parts, reinstalled and serviced the OD with Amsoil
75W-90 synthetic gear lube.  (switched from Warren 80W-90 gear lube).  I
just returned from a road trip and I am completely impressed with the
OD's performance now.  It shifts quicker and drops out immediately.  I
would love to say that all the leaks have gone away but I hate to lie to
anyone.  The filters appeared to be full of a grayish material.  Do you
suppose it could be from the clutch material?  I imagine it would need to
break in or seat in like a clutch or brake shoes.  The drain plug is
magnetic and it was almost clean.  I sure am glad it works again.  I will
be making another trip today or tomorrow to make sure it works on a
longer run.  I feel confident that the problem was caused by the screens
being full or perhaps the non-return valve had clogged.  Its a good
feeling either way to have it work again.

Thank You all for your comments and suggestions.

Pat in NC      "Looking better for Road America"

Resume the countdown!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hi Patrick,
itīs surprising how we Scionsīs are able to enjoy the luck of the others.

But, there is something missing in your letter, hope you only forgot to write
it
down.

Couldnīt find anything about drying and refilling the gearbox too!
Remember: Gearbox and OD share the same oil!

Wrote this only, because I saw some month ago a man with a TR 6 at a gas
station, nearby. He had his LBC on the hired platform in order to change
the Gearbox oil. He did not know about shared oil flow.
But Iīm shure, you did change both!! :->

Hope, you really did it.

BFN

P.S. Donīt be too anxious about the particles you found.
As long as you donīt find things that seem to be broke off somewhere, there
should be everything ok.

Peter Juergens
Germany
PiJay@t-online.de