Re: tuned LBC engines

To: owner-triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: tuned LBC engines
From: CLAY_SCOTT@HP-Loveland-om10.om.hp.com
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 08:30:36 -0600
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
     Peter,
       I assume you have the crankcase ventilated in some way already so here
is
     what comes to mind:
       Are the bores known to be straight and true?  If they weren't and you
     just stuffed in the new parts that could be it.  If you didn't scuff up
the
     bores the rings may take a long time to seat (or may not at all!).
       Are the ring end-gaps staggered?  A silly question but I've found this
on
     a problem engine- rebuilder was a first-timer and had no clue.  Also stuff
     happens sometimes on late nights reassembling.
       Is the ring end-gap excessive?
       Last and worst- you may have broken rings.  If there was ANY ridge at
the
     top of the bores it can break the new top rings.  Also, if there was too
     little end gap that will do it too the first time it gets hot.
       If I was going to speculate, I'd say broken rings since the blow-by
     sounds quite extreme.  Had this happen on a Toyota engine I race prepped
     many years ago.  Set it up tight and pylon raced it the same morning.
     Broke 4 rings due to insufficient end gap- a slight miscalculation at 2:00
     AM that cost me big-time.  So much blow-by it blew the PCV hose off and
     blew oil smoke into the steering column which then entered the cockpit.  I
     still remember that feeling in the pit of my stomach....
        Try a compression check and a cylinder leak-down check if you have
     access to the equipment.  Any imbalance in the cylinders will point to the
     problem.  Let us know what you find.
                                        Clay