RE: Smog by state

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Smog by state
From: "Brent Martin" <b_martin@lifesci.lscf.ucsb.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 10:30:24 -0700 (PDT)
In message Wed, 11 Sep 96 8:52:14 PDT,
  c394829@is6.mdc.com (Kurt Oblinger)  writes:

> Here in California the smog check program has always been
> rather byzantine and is about to get more so. There is now
> being implemented a program whereby if your car is deemed
> a "gross polluter" it cannot be registered, cannot be sold
> and there is a very high or no limit for repair costs.

The smog discussion has been beat to death. But I want to let all the
Californian's know about an important "loop hole". Your car can be smog
tested to heart's content as a "pretest" that is not directly linked to the
State's database. DO NOT get your car smogged until you know that it will
pass. Basically, this means that you do not go to the convenient/cheap
drive-through chain operations; you go to a mechanic. I just completed
smogging my '77 spit. The smog station operator was a brit-car dealer
mechanic in a previous life and he will take the time to do it right. In my
case, that was 2 weeks and $150 (which didn't come close to paying the hours
he spent fiddling and retesting) but I avoided being labeled a gross
polluter (which I was when I drove in - slightly visible exhaust in area
immediately around tail pipe, good driving performance, plugs text-book
brown, compression 125-130 on all 4, etc). Also, last week the legislature
rescinded the bit about confiscate and crush (but the car is still not
sellable, etc.)
brent