Re; 4 & 5 point harnesses

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re; 4 & 5 point harnesses
From: Nadja Saralam <nadja@cs.curtin.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 12:52:39 +0800 (WST)
>      Just a thought ... you may not want to be so solidly 'tied' into your
>      seat on the street.  4 & 5 point harnesses were designed for use on
>      the track, where the hazards are somewhat limited than on the street.
>
>      On the street you may be in a situation where you and your car may be
>      going under a semi-trailer (a la Jackie Chan's latest movie).  If you
>      were in a 4 or 5 point, you would have a difficult time diving over
>      the passenger seat to save your neck.

What are the chances of going under a semi versus the chances of going through
the windscreen?

Besides, I have a car with 4 point harnesses and one with the old-style
seatbelts [fixed] and I'm willing to bet I can get out of the harness faster. I
must admit though, some of the cheaper harnesses that require you to put your
arms through some 'loop' of webbing would pose a problem. Also, if you're going
to keep your harness loose so you can change the channels on the radio, don't
bother to spend the money.

Ofcourse, a good harness will increase the MPV [maximum pose value] of your car.

:)  ... and if that's not important then I don't know what is!

Happy motoring!

|   Computer Science                  .         nadja@cs.curtin.edu.au   |
|   Curtin University              ,-\|\        Ph: 351 7680             |
|   WESTERN AUSTRALIA             /     \       ext. 2403                |
|   #include <std_disclaimer.h>        v                                 |