Re: TR3 Gas and Water...

To: rgs03@health.state.ny.us
Subject: Re: TR3 Gas and Water...
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 11:51:17 +0400 (EDT)
Cc: Triumph owners list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Mon, 16 Sep 1996 rgs03@health.state.ny.us wrote:

> *** Resending note of 09/16/96 11:11
>
> On Mon, 16 Sep 96, Doug Mathews <MATHEWS@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>wrote:
> <background story deleted>
>
> Doug, You're on the right track. This exact same thing happened with my TR3.
> I'd be willing to bet you have a blockage in your fuel line from the tank
> to the pump. Try blowing some compressed air back through the line from the
> pump inlet hose to the tank (open the filler cap first). I did this and the
> fuel started flowing normally....

It's also possible that something is floating around in the fuel tank
and occasionally obstructing the tank outlet. I discovered once, many
years ago, on someone's TR6, that a balled-up gum foil gum wrapper had
been inserted into the tank. It was too big to go through the fuel line,
but big enough to block the outlet when it settled there. A bit of rust
scale floating about could have the same effect.

As for your cooling, I'd make very sure that the entire cooling system
is well-flushed and completely free of sediment (probe about with a
stiff wire in the hole for the block drain; it's amazing what can
accumulate there), make sure you've the correct type of thermostat (or
accepted modification there (check the archives); and, possibly most
important, make sure the millboard shrouding is present and properly
located in the grille opening.

For that matter, it wouldn't hurt to check the coolant temperature with
a thermometer to judge the accuracy of the gauge!

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *