Re: Late TR6 Diff Pinion Seal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Late TR6 Diff Pinion Seal
From: steve_sides@gilbarco.com (Steve Sides)
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 07:43:41 -0400
     You wrote :

     I talked to Dave Hagenbach at TRF about changing the pinion seal on
     later TR6 diffs with the collapsable spacers, and he advises against
     it.  Other than the fact that I've done it before without any trouble
     (yet), I don't have any other reliability info. Obviously the spacer
     is collapsed upon initial building to the point where the gear lash is
     in range. Wouldn't putting the slotted nut back in the same spot,
     using the same wire size,  achieve the same lash, or at least close
     enough for street use?

     Bob,
        I believe that the pinion crush sleeve is there to provide proper
     pinion bearing preload.  I think you're right that if the pinion is
     returned to the same torque, that the preload should be the same given
     that the bearings remain in place.  I would suggest that you turn the
     pinion flange during torquing to guarantee that the bearings are
     seating properly and not further crushing the sleeve.  The alternative
     to replacing the seal (possible running the diff dry) would do far
     more damage than improper pinion preload.

     Steve Sides
     Greensboro, NC
     70 Spit
     TR250 (in garage - waiting)