alternator question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: alternator question
From: James Cullen <jcullen@direct.ca>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 22:12:25 -0700
Well after 2 years "Jade" finally suffered the indignity of being towed. I
started the car at work and heard a terrible hum/vibration, and it wasn't
the engine. I lifted the hood and it was coming from the alternator. I then
made a beeline for home, but alas did not make it. I've now got the
alternator off. Previously, on other vehicles I've just bought a rebuilt one
and threw it on, I can get a rebuilt one for $95.00 Canadian. Now I've got
it off I'm wondering if I can fix it myself. I'm not an expert at
auto-electrics, but have done fairly well so far learning along the way.
I've researched my Haynes manual, but not much info is there. Is it worth it
to try to do this, or should I just buy the rebuilt one? Is the hum that
precipitated the alternator failing an indication of the problem? If I
should rebuild/fix it where should I start?

Thanks in advance,

Jim Cullen, 1974 British Racing Green "Jade"