re: Hazard Lights on Spitfire

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Hazard Lights on Spitfire
From: "John W. Hazelton" <hazelton@mizar.usc.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 96 0:17:47 PDT
Cc: O.Buhler@damtp.cam.ac.uk
Oliver Buhler (O.Buhler@damtp.cam.ac.uk) writes:

> With the annual inspection looming, the non-working Hazard lights
> on my british Spitfire 1500 (1978, never left the country) now need
> attention.

> I bought a new switch (the one that's coming out of the dashboard)
> and plugged it in, but still no hazard lights.  The regular
> left--right indicators work fine.  Only additional clue: when one
> indicator is on and I pull the hazard light switch, then the
> indicator stops flashing.

 I think Bob Sykes (S1500@aol.com) hit the nail on the head when he
 responded:

> This is not uncommon, especially if the switch is not exercised
> regularly.  Working it back and forth (on and off) a few times
> usually restores operation.
> This is strange  I've never known anything else to cause this problem.

 The multiple exposed contacts in the hazard switch oxidize quickly
 and easily, leading to the problem as stated (hazard lights will
 not engage when the switch is pulled, but turn signals stop flashing
 if they had been turned on).

 If a switch is not used regularly, the contacts inside will oxidize
 and fail to make electrical contact.  This can even be the case
 with a new switch, especially if it is NOS, and has been sitting
 idle in a box for many years.

 If actuating the switch several times doesn't clear up the problem,
 stronger measures are called for.  The solution is pretty simple,
 relatively cheap, and doesn't require removal of the switch from
 the dash.

 Go to a local electronics DIY place (someplace like Radio Shack
 will do--are there Radio Shack stores in the UK?) and buy a can
 of electrical contact spray cleaner.  Get the variety that *does
 not* include a lubricant.  Contact cleaner usually comes with a
 long thin red tube that fits to the spray nozzle.  Affix this
 tube to the nozzle, snake it under the back of the dash, and spray
 the hazard switch liberally with contact cleaner while working
 the switch.

 If the switch is badly oxidized, it may require a repeat treatment
 right away, or again in the near future.  Once you have cleaned
 the contacts, make it a practice to work the switch once every week
 in order to keep the contacts from building up an oxidized layer.

 Good luck!

--John Hazelton
  Los Angeles, CA, USA
  1980 Spitfire (R.I.P.)