Re: Yet more on Spit front wheel bearing oil seals

To: triumphs@autox.TEAM.net
Subject: Re: Yet more on Spit front wheel bearing oil seals
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 1996 22:26:00 -0400
Fellow Motorheads,

Here's another (out-of-print, for now) source:  the Six Tech manual, by
the long-time tech-tip writer for the 6-Pack Club, Mr. Len Renkenberger.

He's addressing the TR-6 / 250 bearing seals, of course, but apparently
they're either the very same, or the same type.  He says to be sure to
put the felt in facing the vertical link, NOT the bearing, and also sug-
gests that after you oil the felt, coat the side that will rub the link
with grease, to hold the oil in and water out.  Then he says to assemble
the (greased) bearing and tighten to 10-15 ft.lbs, spin the wheel to
seat the bearings, check tightness again, and then back off one flat of
the nut and insert the cotter pin.  The Bentley manual goes on about main-
taining 0.003-0.005" end float on the bearings, but I can't see how you
could work that fine while compressing a felt seal !!  In other words,
adjust and assemble them pretty much like any other front (non-drive)
wheel bearing, just remember to go back more often and check for proper
adjustment, since the felt will slowly compress for at least a few miles
after installation.

He also gives a modern lip-type seal that can be used in place of the
felt one, but I don't have the specific part # (or the Manual) with me
today, if anyone is interested, get back to me.

Best regards,
Tom Tweed
TR-250
SW Ohio --  headed for Indy 6-Pack meet this weekend !