Re: pounds

To: TR6Massey@aol.com
Subject: Re: pounds
From: Godafoss@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 04:03:03 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Dave,

Yes, I am well aware that gold is weighed in troy ounces and pounds, hence my
remark. Your response supports what I wrote.

There are 14 avoirdupois ounces in a Troy pound. Therefore, one pound of gold
(weighed in Troy ounces as it should be), weighs 14 avoirdupois ounces. The
pound of feathers (weighed in avoirdupois) weigh 16 avoirdupois ounces. That
is two more (av) ounces than the gold.

Gold has everything to do with our cars. Everytime we spend money, the price
of gold affects us through our purchasing power. Buy something from overseas,
and gold prices are critical for exchange rates too.

Besides, knowledge is a good thing. As for the incongruities of the English
system, couldn't agree more. Wish we were metric, a system based on reason.

All the commentary aside, the point was really about perception.

This was fun, thanks. I can actually write to the list, most of the time the
subjects are interesting to read but I do not have the knowledge/experience
to contribute.

Michael
Godafoss@AOL.com
Palo Alto, CA