Re: Air Wrench Follies; learning curve

To: triumphs@autox.TEAM.net
Subject: Re: Air Wrench Follies; learning curve
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 15:05:57 -0500
Fellow Motorheads,

This list is contributing to my education. I stand corrected.  I wrote:

 ><<    Let the kid use the air gun for taking off anything he wants to,
 >they're
 >  great at that, that's what they were made for. >>

To which Nick from Nor Cal responded:

 > Fellow Lug Nutters-
 >
 > They can even do damage takin the lug nuts OFF! >>

And Paul explained:
 >This is very true!  I worked one summer rebuilding the tracks that
>caterpillar bulldozers ride on.  I would take them  apart with an air wrench.
 > These bolts were about the size of a wheel stud.  The nuts came off very
 >fast, but none of the hardware could be re-used, because the threads would
 >spread.  The nuts would go on a new bolt, but they wouldn't spin freely, and
 >you could see bright marks on the thread of the new bolt, where the spread
 >threads of the old nut had scored the thread of the new bolt.
 >Paul

Oh, now I get it !  Tim the tool man's MORE POWER demand is a joke !!
You can break things, warp them, stretch them outta shape without hardly
trying, and the air wrench is a fine example.

And I thought that knowing a torque wrench from a hammer was enough...
Still climbing that curve,
Claude `Butthead' Hopper
SW Ohio