TR6 CLUNK NOISE TROUBLESHOOTING

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 CLUNK NOISE TROUBLESHOOTING
From: JCBOUCHARD@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 02:18:46 -0500
A few days ago, I polled the group for advice on troubleshooting a clunk
coming from the rear diferential area.  I have since put the car up on stands
and visually inspected the following for integrity:
      1.  diff mounting rubbers and mounting brackets
      2.  wheel studs and lug nuts
      3.  trailing arm bushes/brackets

All looked to be in good shape.  The rubbers are only a couple of years old.
 I did find that there is about 1/2" to 1" of rotation in each wheel prior to
the other wheel begins to counter rotate. There is no noticeable U joint
play.  The freeplay is apparantly in the differential. Is the freeplay normal
and are there any thoughts as to whether this is causing the problem?

Sincerely,
Joe Bouchard
'74-1/2 TR6