Hard Tops & Car Covers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Hard Tops & Car Covers
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 20:29:21 -0600
Request for Wisdom,

After many years of MG ownership it looks like I'm going to add a
Triumph to my stable. I'm looking for advice on a couple of things.
First off, the 'new' car is a 1975 TR6. The questions:

1) How desirable is the hardtop? The car I'm buying is going to have
   to sit outside and doesn't have the hard top. I have a line on
   a hardtop. The pre-haggle price is $400 and it will require a
   rebuild - paint, headliner, rubber. Good deal?

   I had a hardtop on a Midget and learned that I hate to have the
   hardtop on because it was so noisey and, also, the top spent most
   of its years merely taking up space in the basement.

   Is the TR6 hardtop desireable from a collector's standpoint
   (this is the original metal top) and is it functional?

2) Advice on a good outdoor car cover appreciated also.

Thanks for any tips. I'd ask these questions over on the MGs list but,
boy, those guys get sassy when you talk about Triumphs!

Bob Allen, Kansas City