Corroless, more or less

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Corroless, more or less
From: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Date: 2 Dec 96 9:09:36
My 1974 Spitfire has some frame rust (though none on the floorpan).

My problems are minor  --the worst part of the frame, of course, are the ªarmsª
that extend out behind the front wheels, and even they are not bad at all.  If
I had unlimited resources, I would have a shop clean and repaint the chasis and
everything else that is accessible without, er, dismantling the car.   But
barring that, I am thinking of using on the frame a product I saw in Eastwood¹s
-- ªCorrolessª rust stabilizer coating.  Does anyone have experience with this
paint?  It sounds like a viable product.

Sheez, maybe I could use it to paint the aircraft carrier I have tied up at the
Harbor Marina.

Martin Secrest
74 Spit, resting comfortably

--------------

PS:  How about another FIAT story?  In my impressionable youth, I once owned a
1976 Fiat 128, ªor should I say, it once owned me.ª  (sorry, John L.)  This
vehicle was unquestionably the most poorly designed car in natural history.
This F*cking Italian Attempt at Transportation, also stationed in upstate New
York, not only would never start unless the temperature was +10 degrees F.
(which it often was not), it charmingly kept me living below the poverty line
by needing a major repair roughly every three weeks.  Once you removed the
spare tire from the engine compartment (ooh -- oil, gas and excessive heat --
just what every tire craves), you literally could not even CHANGE THE PLUGS
without an extension and universal joint on your socket wrench.   In the three
years that car owned me, I rebuilt the engine, the head, and replaced the
transmission.  CV joints, water pump, alternator, starter?  Throw them all in,
too.  If Fiat built it, you REBUILT it.

I get agitated just thinking about it 13 years later.

There was one component of that car that did work reliably ... the electric
strip rear window defroster.

I bought a used ¹83 Honda Civic in 1985, and I am still driving it as my daily
beater 100K miles later.  I put oil and gas in it.