BOUNCE triumphs: Non-member submission from ["Mike D'Ambrogia" <MikeD@ma

To: triumphs
Subject: BOUNCE triumphs: Non-member submission from ["Mike D'Ambrogia" <MikeD@mail.cellgenesys.com>]
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 17:33:15 -0700 (MST)
     From: "Mike D'Ambrogia" <MikeD@mail.cellgenesys.com>
     Subject: Coming in from the lurk...
     Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 11:33:57 -0800

Hello All,

Some questions and a comment or 2...

Recently bought the Triumph TR-6 Competition Preperation Manual from TRF
for my 74 1/2 and am wondering if anybody has made any of the engine
performance mods discussed in the manual?
Specifically I am interested in
- decking the head to increase the compression to 10.25 (any piston mods
needed for clearance? How about push rods?)
- put a new grind on the cam
- mild port on the head, matching the intake and the exhaust to their
manifolds
- balance the motor (crank w/rods, pistons, wristpins (& flywheel?)
Are the charts shown accurate?  Is there a cross-reference for the part
#'s that they list in the Comp manual to either TRF or Moss part #'s?
The car is a daily driver, so it must end up well behaved.

How is everybody getting headers, non-stock carb setups, etc. thru smog
testing?  I'm in northern CA - is it just the CA people who take a
beating with the smog issue, or is everybody faced with this?  When I
smogged the TR early last year, the mechanic really worked me over since
he had never seen a TR-6 before.  He drug the smog manuals out and when
there was a question over the vacuum lines that come off the radiator
hose it took a long "conversation" to get him to pass the car.  Can't
imagine trying to get a non-stock setup thru...

In the next few weeks I'm planning on replacing the red-line tires with
a new set of radials.  It seems that 205/60/15's are the tire of choice,
but I'm concerned that since I don't have the O/D unit I'm going to need
to wind the motor out to run it on the freeway.  My speedo registers
70mph @ ~4k rpm.  Also the speedomoter will now register an incorrect
speed with the new tires.  Does anybody have an idea of how many mph I'm
going to loose as a result of going to a smaller tire?

On the subject of the O/D unit, the car originally had a unit in it (
has all the electrics in the steering column and I believe the comm #,
noted below, shows it as an od car) but the DPO has a non-O/D tranny in
it.  What specifically do I need to do to add an O/D to my existing
non-O/D tranny?

My meager contributions to the list - RE:carb dashpot oil, the Bently
manual calls for std 30 weight oil, RE: brake servo - I had the same
symptoms, changed the servo and brakes were fixed.  With the new
stopping power, I thought I was going to tear the front end off the car
since the braking was so much stronger.  Bought the servo from Triumphs
Only in San Jose. Worth a Mr. Franklin and a half to make sure that you
are safe.  RE: Nick and "The Dreaded Clunk", I too have this problem in
3rd and 4th gear, following your thread with interest.

Wasn't there an address on the web where one could look up the commision
#'s on the TR and get the car info online?

Thanks!

Mike D'Ambrogia
Red TR-6 CF 27282 UO Aug '74