Olde Triumphs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Olde Triumphs
From: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Date: 5 Dec 96 12:29:50
I canıt say I would hold much enthusiasm for any new incarnation of Triumph --
it just wouldnıt be the same.  (I am aware of the general inanity of this
statement).

However, I am also generally in favor of new sports car production, whatever
the source ... heck, somebodyıs got to put something else on the road besides
those omnipresent,
headlight-flipping-saki-sucking-ergonomically-correct-sports-car-wannabe
M**taıs, the cars whose owners seem to be saying, ŞUh, yes, I like the IDEA of
a sports car, but only if it has speakers in the headrests, right up here by my
sensitive earsŞ  (pardon the xenophobia) ...

But what about the old Triumphs?  Exactly when and why did they go out?  I
vaguely remember not seeing them in the showrooms after 1980, but which models
were still available when B-L pulled the plug?  Were emissions regulations the
only culprit in the Triumph extinction?  And what did B-L make after Triumph
and still today?

Professors -- please take the podium...