Re: oil coolers & rocker feed

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: oil coolers & rocker feed
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 17:33:39 -0500
Hi Roger, Charlie, et al.

Could someone refresh my memory on the oil pathway in the 6-cyl engines ?
Doesn't the rocker shaft get its oil from the scroll on the back end of
the camshaft, which feeds it up thru the drilled holes in the block & rear
of the head to the rear rocker pedestal ?  If that much is true, then
wouldn't the volume delivered be more or less constant, regardless of the
pressure at the main bearings ?  Also, wouldn't there be drain-down thru
this same feed path after the engine is shut off ?  I assumed that there
would be drain-down, and that was the reason for the external oil feed
kits -- to avoid the delay time waiting for the scroll to pump up.  The
external feed would immediately have full pump pressure, so that the rocker
shaft would not be working `dry' for a brief time after start-up.

I also have a hunch that the cam lobe for exhaust #1 is the very last piece
of the engine to experience oil delivery after start-up, and on all (2!)
of the cams I've seen, that one was worn the worst. (Right Tony R.?)

Just my SWAG (Scientific Wild A** Guess) - any corrections welcomed, I'm
still on my way up the slope of the learning curve on TRs.

Best regards,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio