Re: Spit - IT LIVES!<08DEA32ACB1B3033*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=

To: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Subject: Re: Spit - IT LIVES!<08DEA32ACB1B3033*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS.nene.ac.uk>
From: Richard Jackson <RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 09:16:41 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: Triumph Group <triumphs@autox.team.net>, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
>It lives!!  My 64 Mk I Spitfire lives!  This past weekend we put some gas in
>the tank, static adjusted the timing, hook up a freshly charged battery and
>fired that bad boy up and by God does it sound wonderful.  That's the good
>news.

Well done!!!

>Question - Has anyone (well, of course someone on this list has, that's why
>we are all members) rebuilt twin SU HS2 carbs lately?  Any tips?  I've
>rebuilt your basic American Holly and Rochester carbs, and once dismantled
>(note, I did not say "rebuilt") a Zenith carb on an early Bug.  So, is an SU
>that much different from a big, hairy chested, dual stage, 650 CFM, 4 barrel
>Rochester QuadraJet with mechanical secondaries?  Am I about to be
>embarrassed and humbled by a little tiny side draft carb with funky
>Whitworth fasteners (of which I do not one a single wrench)?  Should I
>simply package them up and send to Apple Hydraulics in NY for a full rebuild
>at $$$$$$$ prices?  Is this a task best left to mad dogs and Englishmen?

Go out in the midnight sun!!!!

I would say that twin SU's are easy to rebuild, the only thing that can be
tricky is the return springs on the side.  Rebuild one at a time a use the
other as a reference.  Also, in a kit I bought from Burlen Fuel
Systems(Included EVERYTHING for 40 quid) there were bushes that could be fitted
to take up any wear in the carb body.  I never had to fit these, but I would
imagine that these would be the only awkward part of the hole rebuild, as I
imagine a drill press would be required to ensure that the holes line up
correctly.

Good Luck

Rich