steering column bushes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: steering column bushes
From: Gary Nafziger <naffy@netins.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 18:53:34 -0600 (CST)
        Mark:  Thank goodness I did not have the locking mechanism on my 69
when I changed bushes.  I also never had a problem putting the new bushes in
the column.  I just wd-40'd them and slid them in with a pipe just a hair
smaller than the diameter of the outer column.  The little nipples lined up
with the holes in the outer column when they slid into place and they should
stay.

        My problem was getting the old bushes out as you cannot pound from
the inside very well and if you do you tend to bind the bush in the column
because you cannot put even pressure on the whole bushing.

        I used an anchor bolt dealy that one uses to anchor things to
drywall when there is no 2x4 behind.  You know those things that flop open
when you push them through the hole and then you can tighten them up as
tight as you want?  Well just get one the appropriate length and cut off the
tips of the flop open pieces so that when they are open they just fit inside
the inside diameter of the column.  Then push it in, it flops open and you
screw it out.  Of course you have already mounted it on a large washer at
the end of the column so it has something to pull against.  The other bush
can be driven out with a pipe the appropraite size due to the fact that now
you can easily get to it.

        This tip was on the moss web sight the last time I looked in the
tech section.  It may still be there and has a nice illustration to look at.
Got $35 for it!                       Hope it helps someone!

                                        Gary Nafziger   Wellman, Iowa