Re: TR-6 rear springs

To: naffy@netins.net
Subject: Re: TR-6 rear springs
From: rgb@exact.com
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 07:42:53 1996
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Its actually '69-'71.5 that have the 2-notch brackets.

I suspect that Richard Good's rear springs which are meant to
lower the car 1" will work.  Only they may not lower your car
at all.  Stock height springs are too tall with the brackets
you have, especially the comp ones.  Richard also has some
shims to bring them back to the correct height.

You can use someone else's cast off sagging springs from
a later model car to give yours the correct height (great use
of old springs in my book, $10 per pair is hard to beat), but
you've got stock stiffness.

You can change all the brackets to the later 1-notch/3-notch types.
Believe you just need to buy the 3-notch as you're got a 1 and 2
on the car.  I've heard this will work, no results...

Or you can install the Nylatron bushings (3" of 1.5" PVC and 6"
Craftman C-clamp, the brand here IS important, you'll see).
These seem to raise the rear bumper about 1" and stiffen up
the rear.

If you're not having any sagging problem, I'd install the Nylatron
and give it a spin (pack with grease), I suspect your "trottle steer"
problem will be gone and you'll still have a nice ride.  Springs
are easy, you can add them later.  Do both shock links if there
is a question.  I've been using 20W fork oil in the levers...

Use the TRF rear bracket braces if they are broken, there are 4 pieces.
I also use poly diff mounts and shock link pieces from BPNW along with
the front sway bar poly pieces.

Roger

P.S. check everything while back there, my last one had rebuilt levers
     with NO oil, hard to believe.

--
Roger G. Bolick, rgb@exact.com, (512) 794-9567, FAX 345-2879