Re: GT6/TR250 Head

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GT6/TR250 Head
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 07:15:38 -0800
>The head on my TR 250 needs new valve seats.  I have a '68 GT6 motor and
>the head casting numbers on the GT6 head and the TR250 are the same. My
>present thinking is to swap heads and get the original motor back into
>the 250 ( I have a '76 TR6 motor that is pretty tired in it now ). Anyone
>know if the two heads are interchangeable?  If not, why not?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^
Hugh,
Check the relative position of your inlet and exhaust ports.  If your ports
all line up on the GT6 (which it should if you have an early 68 head) than
it won't work.  If on the other hand the intake ports are higher in relation
to the exhaust ports than you can use it.  You can also use the manifold
gasket if you already have everything apart and see if they match up.  This
is assuming that the TR6/250 used the same head - I'm not too sure aboout
the TR6/250 line but im fairly sure the heads are the same.  At any rate at
one time the casting and part numbers for the head's were the same for GT6's
and TR6's so if the ports match what you have on your TR6 you won't have any
problems.  You can also tell with the manifolds on the car as the position
of the manifolds will show if the ports are inline or not.  Hope that helps-

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (under-going major surgery) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+