RE: MJB/AOL (Mark J Bradakis, America On-Line)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: MJB/AOL (Mark J Bradakis, America On-Line)
From: kedwards@norfolk.infi.net (Keith A. Edwards)
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 01:03:08 -0500 (EST)
Cc: cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil, rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu, peterz@merak.com, ArthurK101@aol.com
I too feel duty bound to express my thanks to Mark J Bradakis (MJB) for his
continued efforts in keeping our E-mail lists going.  I can appreciate his
decision to put America On-Line (AOL) users in digest mode I have
experienced E-mail getting caught in a continuous "loop", due to a
subscriber being in "autoReply" mode (vacation mode).  It definitely can be
painful, though in this recent situation it seems to have been experienced
by the MG list subscribers.

>From hearing of Mark's explanation of a 100 E-mail limit in AOL's inbox, I
can see how easy it would be to cause a mailbox overflow condition,
especially with the lists with 50 E-mails per day.

I have a WorldNet account, and have had my subscription dropped by a
different listserve, due to frequent problems experienced with mail
bouncing.  As it was explained to me at the time, this happened frequently
with WorldNet, although there were no problems noticed by users.  Has anyone
else experienced bouncing problems with WorldNet??

I do hope that we will not loose the contributions and experience from Art
Kelly and other (current) AOL users.

BTW, I have been the administrator of an in-house E-mail system for the last
nine years (Allin1 is still in use!), now up to about 600 users.  I have
_never_ seen the utility in autoReply mode, since it typically tells
_everyone_ that sends you an E-mail that you are on vacation or whatever.
We experience a fair amount of E-mail addressed to "everyone" and believe
me, most people don't care about which people are on vacation at the time.

I would also like to second the opinions from several respondents that
digest mode is not the end of the world.  I felt I had to go into digest
mode (for all the lists I am on that have digest mode) because I found it
much quicker to read.  Hitting the PageDown button to scan through many
E-mails seemed quicker than other methods, to me. Learning to select a
message and Cut and Paste in order to respond wasn't that hard.  Not being
in real-time mode only delayed how quickly a response could be made.

I recall hearing of the digest version eliminating duplicate posts, but I
certainly have seen (too many) repeat posts in the digest from
morrow@saber.udayton.edu which seems quite uncalled for...  Shame, shame.

Keith Edwards
Suffolk, VA
kedwards@norfolk.infi.net
2 '62 TR3Bs
2 '67 TR4As
1 '54 Austin-Healey 100-4
1 '54 Austin Princess Vanden Plas limo (still For Sale)
+ 3 British parts cars