Re: CV joints to cure those rear-end woes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: CV joints to cure those rear-end woes
From: "Dan Harriman" <KC5GXL@pnx.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 20:20:25 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <KC5GXL@PNX.COM>
   Hi gang;
Just thought I would my $0.0167 worth on C-V joints in the triumph
drive shaft and axles. C-V joints are what I do for a living now. I
have been rebuilding them and wholesaling them to other shops for the
last 4 years now. There are basically two types of c-v joints. One is
the rzappa joint and the other is the plunge joint.
   The rzappa joint is the outer joint. (The one that clicks on
turns.) The plunge is the inner. (The one at the transaxle.) Ford has
used one that has two plunge joints on its Bronco II for the last few
years with verying degrees of unsuccess. One of the remedies is to
replace the c-v joints with conventional u-joints, even though it is
travelling more than the usual 10 degrees. (This is in the propeller
shaft from the trans to the 3rd member.)
   I don't see a real problem with using c-v joints for either the
prop shaft or the axle shafts if parts are available at a reasonable
price. C-v joints were primarily designed to travel more than the 10
degrees or so allowed by the conventional u-joints.
   The only drawback that might be inherent is the machine work
involved in adapting the original shaft for c-v usage.
   Hope that helps a little bit.
Dan