69 MkIII Problems

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 69 MkIII Problems
From: "Tony Zappa" <tzappa@aztec.co.za>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 18:06:09 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <tzappa@aztec.co.za>
I am very new to Spitfires, but took the plunge and bought a 69
MkIII.  It generally runs fine, but I have a couple problems I don't
know how to solve:

1.  The car overheats something awful.  The gauge gets to 260 after a
few minutes of idling and stays there.  I've changed the thermostat,
flushed the radiator, changed the water pump, and changed the hoses,
but no luck.  Short of changing the gauge (could be faulty?) any
suggestions?

2.  The car idles fine and acheives low speeds without any problems.
However, I can't seem to get enough power to get over 40 mph.  I
don't know anything about carbourators; is it time to invest in a
good book?

Thanks for any help.  If anyone is reading this from South Africa and
knows of a local club, please let me know.
"The oxen are slow, but the Earth is patient..."
Tony Zappa, Diversified Health Systems South Africa