Re: Fitting Cam Bearings to a 1500 spitfire engine

To: <pujalte@stic.net>
Subject: Re: Fitting Cam Bearings to a 1500 spitfire engine
From: car@texas.net (Carol)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 16:01:44 -0600 (CST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Me has to agree with Michael, Vince. I think you've been too nice for too
long!! Period!

And from what little I know about engines, Michael's observations as to
"cause" make sense to me, too. No oil!

I hope Andy Mace (whoever he is) can offer you some sage advice...

God bless, and godspeed!!

carol

At 01:23 PM 12/15/96 -0800, Michael D. Porter wrote:
>Vince J. Pujalte wrote:
>>
>> Hello Fellow Enthusiasts,
>>   I hope that you can help me.
>>   I own a '78 Midget (I know, I know, SORRY) with a 1500 Spitfire engine
>> in it. The cam welded itself to the block less than 200 miles after
>> rebuild. My rebuilder will not modify the engine to accept cam bearings
>> under warranty until he "knows what happened" and is assured that the cam
>> bearings will fix it.
>
>Vince, given that the engine only went two hundred miles, your rebuilder
>is responsible, period--if he provided you with a written unlimited
>warranty for a certain length of time.  If so, tell him he has a
>choice--buy a new engine, which he ought to do, anyway, or make suitable
>and efficacious repairs to the existing block in a reasonable amount of
>time.  Chances are very great that this is related to improper cam
>installation or a very dirty and hasty rebuild, or a failure of the oil
>pump or pump drive, which should have been inspected during a rebuild.
>
>> Would you Please help me? I haven't seen my car in
>> a month.
>
>Your rebuilder has had the car for a month and has been unable to
>determine the cause of the failure???  That's a delaying tactic. Do two
>things--write Andy Mace directly and ask him if there is anyone in the
>San Antonio area in the VTR "road help" program who's willing to go with
>you to the rebuilder to help advise you about what the rebuilder tells
>you.  His email address is:
>
>amace@unix2.nysed.gov
>
>If there's no one available, or no one is willing to because of the
>legal implications (and, yeah, that could be a problem), I'd file a
>formal complaint with the local Better Business Bureau.  If they can't
>the rebuilder off the dime, I'd check on filing in small claims court.
>
>A month, just to determine the cause of failure, is absurd.  This guy
>probably knows what went wrong, and knows that the damage is more severe
>than just the cam, and he's probably going to have to buy you a new
>engine--_if_ he provided you an unlimited short-term warranty.
>
>If his warranty doesn't cover failure due to parts he didn't replace,
>you may be stuck.  If, for example, you broke an oil pump drive, and he
>didn't replace it, and it's not covered in the warranty, you're out of
>luck.
>Cheers, Vince--hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction.
>
>--
>My other Triumph doesn't run, either....

"As you approach life's curves, never brake and always leave skid marks!"