Re: Your TR6

To: Chad Jester <triumph@igc.net>
Subject: Re: Your TR6
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 11:47:49 -0500
Cc: Jeffrey.J.Hildebrandt.1@nd.edu, lang@isis.mit.edu, flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Chad Jester wrote: (to Ken Streeter)

> I just visited your page today...nice!  You said your car's commission #
> is CF27535.  Looking at the picture of your car, it has the turn signals
> above the bumper rather than below the bumper as on 74.5 - 76.  I have
> always heard the commonly accepted cut between 74 and 74.5 models was
> CF27500.  Cars built after this number should have the signals below the
> bumper.  Obviouly this is not true since your picture indicates
> otherwise.  Has your car ever had any body damage in the front?

The car has been repainted at some point in its past, although there's
no sign of body damage up front.  A close inspection of the front
valence
indicates that this is clearly the case, as the repaint wasn't done
particularly well!  (The car looks much better in the picture than it
does on even a 10-foot away inspection!)

Anyway, I have noticed this, too, and speculate that my car
simply has a front valence left over from the earlier run.  I have
not been able to find out if my car is a somewhat unique "left over",
where some earlier cars actually have the "later" valence, or if the
switchover just didn't actually happen at CF27000, as usually published.
It doesn't really matter a lot (and surely doesn't affect the value
of the cars), but makes for interesting speculation.

> I owned CF27991UO which did have the signals blow the bumper.

Hmm.   We have a couple data points now.  We probably have enough
cars on the triumphs list to narrow this down a little more.
Who else on the list has a '74 TR6?  (I've cc'ed a few of
you directly on this message...)  If you have one, can you let
Chad and I know whether the front turn signals are mounted
above, or below, the bumper, and what the commission number
of the car is?

I know Flemming Larsen's car is CF27518, but don't know where
his front turn lamps are located...

--ken
VTR WWW Maintainer -- http://www.vtr.org

--