Re: Diffs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Diffs
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 06:18:24 -0800
Rich writes:
> Just a quick question, although it probably requires a loooong answer.  Has
> anyone on the list rebuilt a Spitfire MkIV Diff before?  I have various DTi
> guages etc at home that I think are needed to do the job properly, but I have
> never actually pulled a diff to pieces before, is it difficult, tedious or
> straight forward.
Done it many times, difficulty depends on your ability, straight forward as
far as differentials go.  No special tools are really necessary, but your
looking at a long and lenghty process of matching the ring and pinion gear
if you you use the tried and tested paint the teeth and check the mesh
method.  I've done this on many occasions.  Finally got tired of that and
made a static pinon depth gage, similar to the 'churchill' tool used at the
factory.  That's the only tiring part of a differential rebuild.  Just make
SURE you follow the backlash and preload spec's.  If done properly these
differentials are quite strong for their size.  I've had one behind my V6
now for almost 10 years, no problems ( cross my fingers ).

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (under-going major surgery) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+