Re: 1959 TR3a TS42661L/TS43295E

To: Jay Wassall <wassallj@philly.infi.net>, " (Editorial Assistant)" <raugusti@shepards.com>
Subject: Re: 1959 TR3a TS42661L/TS43295E
From: twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn Wakeman)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 20:05:42 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
At  6:34 PM 12/17/96 -0800, Jay Wassall wrote:
>I have a 59 TR3 with commision # TS42661L and engine number TS43295E.
>Does anyone know if I can determine if this is the original engine?
>Does anyone have any numbers close to this that I can use a reference?

I don't think the factory even kept track of which engine numbers went with
which commision numbers.  The engine numbers were slightly higher than the
commission numbers.  Of hand it looks like it could be the original engine
and I don't think anyone could say it wasn't

Related Story:
There is a Triumph wrecking yard/new parts place/garage in the San Jose
California area.  The owner once decided he would have his employees build
a TR3 out of of of the partially dismantled cars in his yard.  I dropped by
on occasion and watched the progress.  The car ended up looking very nice,
and very flashy (slightly over restored).

The car even won the people's choice award at the Palo Alto All British
Field meet out of over 500 cars.  It was sold shortly thereafter for a
princely sum.

  The owner wanted the car to appear to have the original engine.  Since
the engine number is stamped in cast iron, he had the engine number stamped
into a commission place and had the car registered under the engine number.

So there is now a Triumph TR3 running about with a registered commission
number that ends in 'E'.

I was floored when I noticed that.

TeriAnn

twakeman@scruznet.com