Camshafts from Kent

To: TR LIST <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Camshafts from Kent
From: Dennis <d.wilson@asu.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 08:58:52 -0700 (MST)
With the recent talk of camshafts, I thought the following might be worth
mentioning.  I don't say this as a flame but just as an observation.

I fitted a kent cam to a 1500 Midegt engine.  After about 7K miles I
thought I would measure the cam lift on each lobe, and try to construct
a graph of lift vs angle (of rotation).  I found that the lift differed
on each lobe (can't remember the exact difference, but enough so my
dial gauge would detect it easily).  I FAXED Kent Cams and asked them if
this is normal.  I got no reply.  I faxed them again saying that they
ignored my last fax.  Still no reply.  I know they got the fax, as I
have used that number to enquire about parts, to which I got a very rapid
reply.

I was worried as I am building abother 1500 engine, and I have a cam
I bought from Triumph Tune which is made by Kent.  This time I will
measure the lift before I run the engine.  BTW, I measure the lift by
installing the cam, a lifter, and a pushrod.  Then put the dial gauge
on top of the pushrod.  I measure the lowest reading, then rotate
the cam and measure the highest reading.  The lift is the difference
between the two.  I repeat this about 5 times and take an average.  But the
readings are usualy so close that taking an average is not needed.  I don't
use oil and make sure the cam, lifters, and pushrods are clean.

Another tid bit, a VERY reliable MG mechanic in Oregon indicated that rebuilt
cam (didn't say the rebuilder) don't last long and go flat too quickly,
so he only uses brand new cams.

Cheers Dennis