Re: MJB / AOL / PC SNAFU / NO LBC

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MJB / AOL / PC SNAFU / NO LBC
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 19:56:27 -0500
Fellow Motorheads,

Ken B. called `time' here, saying

 >Gentlepersons....There was an apology posted. Let's move on.
 >
 >kdb

..and I hope I'm not belaboring the issue, but the unwitting error could
very easily have been mine, and I wouldn't have had a clue how to stop it
save pulling the plug on my PC.  In fact, I was off for about 5 days while
this whole AOL business boiled over, because -- a co-worker needed a type
of adaptor plug for his PC, to make a male/male connection, saw one in the
line on my PC which was not in use at the time, took it out, and forgot
to tell me about it.  Now, I realize that one of the first rules of com-
puter trouble-shooting is, Is it plugged in ?, however, this to me was
an obscure plug to the network server (or something like that) that I
wouldn't have known to check.  I figured there were network problems
again (frequent here), and waited -- and waited.  After 5 days, I happened
to ask that co-worker, and Voila, problem solved in a moment.

I can well imagine Gary's horror when his post appeared again, and again!

Murphy strikes again, this time via e-mail.

If it were a TR running poorly, or failing to start, I'd have plenty of
ideas on what to check, and in what order, etc.

But here, bobbing about in the e-waves, I can barely keep my nose above
water most of the time, and can empathize with the woman I almost bought
a car from not long ago;  I asked her what engine the car had in it, and
she said, "I don't have a clue, I've never opened the hood.  All I do is
drive it."  Well, that pretty well sums up my understanding of this here
PC...all I do is type into it, and it goes out into the `air' and dis-
appears...just like Eric Dolphy's description of why he liked to play
music.

So, fellow listers who are computer-literate, please don't be too hard
on those of us who are not, we're guaranteed to make mistakes again
before very long, please be `gentlepersons' about it.

Thank you for this Bully Pulpit of a soap box, &

Best regards,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio
'72 Trident (basket case)