Master cylinders

To: triumph digest <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Master cylinders
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 08:38:35 -0600
I've noticed a lot of netters who are rebuilding their brake systems
during these cold garage months and thought I'd repeat an incident that
happened to me this year.

I bought a brand new TR6 master cylinder mail order, installed it on my
vintage racer, and had nothing but trouble. Braking was erratic and pads
would pull back from the rotors. After MUCH study I discovered that the
vent hole in the cap had been omitted thus creating a vacuum in the
reservoir above the fluid. Be sure to check your new master cylinders.

I also noted the black stuff in the brake fluid. Since I look at it so
often (race car, don't ya know) I saw this from about the third race
weekend as a small wisp of a black stream coming up from the hole
between the reservoir and the cylinder and attributed it to rubber wear
as the seals slid past the hole.

Other than all that blab, have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
everybody -- and thanks again, Mark for this neat list!