Floor jack parking, or three cars in a two car garage

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Floor jack parking, or three cars in a two car garage
From: jibrooks@juno.com (Jack I Brooks)
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 22:33:20 EST
As others on this list have proposed, It is possible to pivot a car
broadside into a tight spot with the differential supported on a floor
jack and the front wheels on the ground.

I had to take off one rear wheel for clearance for the jack, as I was
sliding it into the back of the garage, broadside, between a bunch of
stuff.  Basically, it was relatively easy although my garage slopes down
to the door, for drainage, and had a bunch of chatter marks in it from
the power troweler used to finish the surface, 40 years ago.

I said relatively easy, we are talking about sliding half of a 2,000 lb
car on 3 inch floor jack wheels.  My 5'2", 110 lb  wife was called into
action, even though she got two stitches in her hand that morning.  The
small bumps in the concrete, from the power troweler, were a bitch to get
the small jack wheels over.  After the car comes out next spring, I will
take my 4" grinder and smooth them out for next year.

The only thing left is to bolt in some 4 x 4's to make sure we don't park
too far forward and hit the TR3.  It is only a two car garage, now with
three cars parked in it.

BTW I was really impressed with the TR3 frame.  I put the rear axle on
jack stands.  As I jacked up one side of the front end frame for the
front jackstands, the other side came up about an inch or two below it.
A lot more rigid than I expected.

Happy wrenching this winter.

Jack Brooks
Hillsdale, New Jersey