Re: replacing front hubs TR6

To: rcarley@uoguelph.ca, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: replacing front hubs TR6
From: Gt6nut@aol.com
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 03:21:41 -0500
In a message dated 96-12-30 15:24:46 EST, rcarley@uoguelph.ca (Robert J
Carley) writes:

<< Can someone advise me on the correct replacement/tightening method for
 putting the front hubs back on to the stub axles of a TR6 1973.  The
 factory manual says to tighten the slotted nut to 5 lbs, but my torque
 wrench doesn't go that low.
 Do you tighten the slotted nut until the hub/ brake disc does not rotate,
 then slightly slacken off until it moves slowly, then insert cotter pin?

 Thanks

 Robert Carley >>

Well the old tried and true method fo any front hub is to do it completely by
feel.
Get everything together and put the wheel on, Tighten the nut pretty snug
then back it off  to seat the seals.
Grab the tire by the top and bottom and move it  back and forth on a vertcal
plane. Tighten the nut just enough to take out the movement that you can
feel, NO TIGHTER!!! Then insert the cotter key. If the hole dosn't line up
you are better off to back the nut off rather than tightining it to line up
the holes. I have used this method many times on everything from a Go-Kart to
a Semi-Truck.

GOOD LUCK!

Dan Arrington (Near Portland,OR.)
gt6nut@aol.com