Re: Trunnions (TR6): oil or grease?

To: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Subject: Re: Trunnions (TR6): oil or grease?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 21:17:37 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Fri, 31 Jan 1997, Jeremy DuBois wrote:

>   BTW, does anybody know any reason not to leave grease nipples on the car?
> I always remove them and replace the plugs because that's what the manual
> shows as supposed to go there, and I'm anal about it.  But I notice that
> most people just leave the nipples on, and I can't really argue against
> doing that.

The factory itself (or at least the S-T USA branch) issued a service
bulletin back in the early 1960s (don't have it right in front of me, but
I'll find it sometime) that strongly suggested that the plugs be
DISCARDED in favor of grease fittings being left in their place.
Reasoning was pretty simple: if it looked like a grease fitting, it was
likely to get some grease (or Hypoid oil in the case of the trunnions).
If it looked like a plug, it likely would be ignored by the average owner.

So it's not only OK, but factory-recommended!

--Andy