Re: Spitfire Windshields

To: Todd Harbold <tharbold@sprynet.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Windshields
From: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 17:26:39 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Todd Harbold wrote:

>                              ~snip~

> I am considering the idea of removing the
> windsheild until I have finished the mastiest body work.  Anybody have
> an input as to whether this is good idea or not?  How hard is it to
> remove a Spit windsheild in one piece?  (Is it even possible?)

Todd,

  It can be done, for I have done it numerous times.  It is a risky
undertaking, especially if you've never removed/installed one before.
The main reason it is harder to remove a used windsheild is because
the rubber is usaully "baked" onto the windshield frame, and there
is dirt, dust and rust connecting the rubber to the frame too.
  As an alternative, you can cut the rubber away by using a shop knife
placed in the groove with the glass and cutting outwards through the
rubber. The cut off section is removed, and viola! you now just have
a windsheild sitting on top of the other half of the rubber.
  This process ruins the rubber, but if you're doing a repaint, it is
worth it,because it is near impossible to mask off the rubber properly
anyway.
  As a final note of caution, be careful not to pry the shop knife ag-
ainst the glass--even slight pressure may crack it.  Remember, glass
and steel do not mix.

                          JOE IV
                          TR 250
                   WALLINGFORD, CT. USA