Re: Dried Grease---Trunnions (TR6): oil or grease

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Dried Grease---Trunnions (TR6): oil or grease
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 00:04:40 -0500
Hello Scott, Gary, et al.

This worked for me a few years ago
..and the few times I've needed to do it since :

Load up a small grease gun as Doug suggested, with a gob of grease at the
bottom, but the rest of it filled with 90 wt gear oil.  Put your car up on
jack stands so that both front wheels are off the ground -- this makes
them easy to turn to get at the grease (oil!) fittings, and also unloads
the springs & trunnions too (I think).  Give the fittings a few pumps, then
turn the wheels lock to lock to spread the oil around the trunnion / link
threads, then pump in some more.  Do this 'til they look properly wet, oily
and drippy around the trunnion seals, like everything else under the car.

You definitely do not want those threads to go dry and grind themselves
into oblivion, I think someone has already commented on that disaster.

Best regards,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio