Re: TR-4 OIL SEAL

To: BOB NOGUEIRA <NKED65A@prodigy.com>
Subject: Re: TR-4 OIL SEAL
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 21:34:35 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, Morgans@Autox.Team.Net
BOB NOGUEIRA wrote:

> -- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --
>
> I'm getting ready to replace the rod and main bearings in the TR-4
> engine in my Morgan. Since the rear seal leaks pretty badly ( the car
> has been called the MORGAN-VALDEZ by some) I figured it time to replace
> the aly scroll on that pass as a oil control. I've seen the conversion
> kit to place a regular type seal in place of the scroll and was
> wondering if anyone has had experience with it.
> Also, can some one tell me the secret of  sealing the push rod tubes in
> the head which pass on either side of the spark plug?
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Bob Nogueira
> 1964 Morgan Plus 4

I own a TR 4A... I have not installed the newer type seals... BUT, BOB,
DO IT!!!!  ughhhh... a lifetime of oil leaking problems on several TR
motors!   I do know that you have to have your crankshaft machined for
the seal.  I suggest MOSS EUROPE or MOSS USA for the part... although I
think Roadster FActory has it too.

In regards to the tubes... years ago.. I had the same problem... my
machine shop simply took a good punch... close to the size of the hole
but tapered... and carefully re-spread/re-compressed/re-seated (whatever
you want to all it) the tubes with firm strikes of a brass hammer on the
punch... (I'm sure you get the idea...)  I think, Ideally, you would
have another, perhaps short punch or piece of brass solid pipe, etc. on
the other side of the tube...

It seemed to help.

Good luck!

Justin (los Angeles, CA)