TR3 engine freshening

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3 engine freshening
From: mbarre@juno.com (Matt Barre)
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 20:52:32 PST
I opened up the motor of my restoration project, and low and behold the
claims of the PO (hasn't qualified a "D" yet) of a recent rebuild seem
valid.  (the car has sat idle for 6 years) The timing chain & gears look
new - the tensioner hardly has any wear - it can't have been run many
miles since that went in.   The main bearings are 10 over and look very
good - I will check the clearance tomorrow.  The journal is practically
mirrorlike with no fingernail catches.  I was a little concerned about
what appeared to be some pitting on one of the cam lobes (looked like a
few grains of pepper) but an experienced mechanic thinks it is nothing
to worry about, casting defects?  I am going to do a valve job but other
than routine checking and cleanup does anyone recommend any specific
action?  I was looking in the manual and it sounds like clearancing the
oil pump is in order.   Are new pumps available?

Since the crank doesn't look like it will need to be disturbed I may not
even mess with the problematic rear seal.  The back of the flywheel
looks pretty clean and if the rest of the engine is any indication, it
looks as if the previous rebuilder knew what he/she was doing.  While on
the subject has anyone made up a crankshaft mandrel that the manual
mentions to centralize the rear seal?  Or is the standard method to simply
center the seal on the crank after the mains are set?

I am confident we can get it back together in good shape but didn't want
to miss the chance to tap into the expertise of the list in this area.

TIA
Matt Barre
Mobile AL