Re: R6: Steering Column Bushings, Steering Rack U-Bolts

To: steveb@verity.com
Subject: Re: R6: Steering Column Bushings, Steering Rack U-Bolts
From: jhdavis6@juno.com (James H. Davis, Jr.)
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 19:52:09 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 04 Feb 1997 22:42:02 -0800 Steve Benelisha <steveb@verity.com>
writes:
>While tracing down a groan on my front end, over the weekend, I became
>aware
>that I have the same problem. My Bentley manual is still two weeks
>away from
>being delivered so all I have to go on were my observations:
>
>I used vice grips as well to compress the bushings. The slop on the
>rack
>was greatly reduced. I think that if I purchase one more pair of very
>small
>bent-nose vice grips (giving me a total of two pair) I will be able to
>compress
>the bushings enough to eliminate all the play.
>
>Of course, this may not the way to fix the problem, perhaps someone
>who
>already has the Bentley can read us the correct procedure. I can't
>imagine a factory manual recommending vice-grips for something like
>this.
>

>Steve
>'74 TR6

Steve,
The Bentley Manual says " using tool S341, compress the mounting rubbers
untill approx. 1/8" remains exposed beyond the edge of the 'U' bolt
brackets."
Anyone ever seen an S341?
I'm using urethane bushings on my current project because the rubber
bushings seem to shrink or just not hold up and have only replaced the
bushings with the engine removed(which is fairly easy with a carpenter's
clamp), but I would like to rent an S341 if some kind lister could oblige
me.

Jim Davis
CF38690UO
CF37325U