Re: Parts or source needed (TR3A)

To: mbarre@juno.com (Matt Barre), Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Parts or source needed (TR3A)
From: twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn Wakeman)
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 11:46:54 -0800
At  1:12 PM 2/6/97 -0800, Matt Barre wrote:

>Also, I hear there are some bad tappets out there?  TRF is supposed to be
>having some "good" ones made up but they will be $13!  Are there any NOS
>still out there, and how do you identify the bad ones?  I appreciate the
>fact that TRF is going to the trouble because when you need them you need
>them.

The soft tappets came onto the market a few years ago.  Ken Galanders at
British Frame & engine was the first person I know to identify this and
corrected his invetory a couple of years ago. Some manufactrers were
producing hard tappets & one or two were making tappets with varying
degrees of hardness.  Your new tappet's hardness depended upon the luck of
the draw.

Take your new tappits to an automotive machine shop and have them hardness
tested.  The process appears to be the application increasing point
pressure until the metal gives.  My tappets came back with a small
indentation in the sides (doesn't affect use) from the testing.  Two of my
new tappets were marginal.  Ken took them back and replaced them with
harder tappets.

TeriAnn

twakeman@scruznet.com