Re: GL-4/GL-5 Again

To: Kdoc111@aol.com
Subject: Re: GL-4/GL-5 Again
From: Martin Libhart <mlibhart@feist.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 10:33:05 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Kdoc111@aol.com wrote:

> Not to beat a dead horse again, but a good TR6 friend called Castrol and
> Valvoline about using GL-5 with brass.  Both hotines told him that their new
> gear oils were corrosive to brass.  Is this the final word, or didn't someone
> write the list saying that only overheating the new lube  causes corrosion?
>
> I'm now confused, frustrated and don't want to take apart my trunions again!
>
> Any info would be appreciated.
>
> Kevin D. O'Connor

Kevin:

I'm beginning to share your frustration.  Now, to make matters worse,
there are some products out there that state on the container "exceeds
GL-5 requirements, and is non-corrosive for bronze and other non-ferrous
metals."  TRF continues to point out that Castrol Hypoy C (GL-4) is the
way to go, and sells the product;  if you look at a Castrol Hypoy C
bottle at your favorite parts house, it says meets or exceeds GL-5. So,
I assume TRF is selling a GL-4 formula no longer commonly stocked by
most outlets.

I've also heard that many of the synthetics meeting GL-5 do not cause
the same type of problems as the non-synthetic counterparts.  Some of
the "synthetic blend" gear oils even claim this, now.  I think Valvoline
is one, but it's been a while since I looked.

Based purely on some good results a racing buddy of mine has had, I
recently changed out my gearbox lube to the Slick 50 product (80W90).
But of course there are many that don't think much of Slick 50, either.
So...

I'll be interested to see where this discussion goes.  Maybe I'll drain
and refill again.
--
Martin Libhart
1972 TR6 (driver)