Re: Judson Supercharger on 4CYL TR

To: EPaul21988@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Judson Supercharger on 4CYL TR
From: cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil (Bruce T. Clough)
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 07:42:38 -0500
Bob,

I've never personally had a Judson on one of our cars, but I've know a few
 people who have.  Several points:

1. Insure your crank is top notch.  The added supercharger load wasn't
included in the factories calculations on safety margins.  If the crank has
been ground more than 0.02" don't use it (maybe 0.01"?).  Cranks have been
known to bust under the load.  Best bet - buy a new racing crank.

2. Be prepared to replace main and big end bearings every 6,000 miles.  The
added load affects them also.

3. Change oil every 2,000 miles.  I might suspect synthetics could help here.

4. Be prepared for a rocket ship.  That Judson adds about 50 hp.  You pay
for the increased power with increased wear and maintenance.

I drove a supercharged TR3 and it was a ball to drive - makes a neat sound
too (not quite as neat as a nitro-burning funny car, but close)!

Bruce Clough