TVR/SPIT COMPAT. ANSWER

To: Marcus Tooze <mtooze@tan.unl.edu>
Subject: TVR/SPIT COMPAT. ANSWER
From: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 09:24:42 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Marcus Tooze wrote:

> Heres a quick story,
>
> I just got off the phone with the TRF tech line. I called them because
> there is a bushing on my TVR that I suspect is from a spitfire (upper and
>lower
> inner a-arm front susp.).

                ~hmmmm, that seems familiar, I think I have one~

...uhmm,excuse me a minute (Joe dashes off to the cellar to check his
pile of "left over TR pieces, and returns with an old blue and white
TRF envelope).

  I have an unused one here, left over from "extra" ordering on a long
ago front end rebuild of my '78 Spit's suspension. (I forgot who
couldn't
count, me or them)

>I wanted somebody to measure one
> to see if it  matched the one I have on my TVR, if it did...I
> would then purchase it.

 That is what this list is for, no need to bother them in the midst
of their busiest time of their year to measure a $3.95 dollar part.
Well, o.k., that's $3.95 x four, but you get the point.  It's like
asking a Fireman the time on his way to a fire.

>The guy asked me if I had a TR part number, to
> which I replied no,

  The Spit bushing is Part number 119451, price $3.95, for the upper,
I don't know about the lower bushings (none of those laying around).

> but it looked a lot like a spit a-arm bushing,
> could he measure it for me.

  O.K., I'll do that for you. (finally, huh?) Using my machinist's
slide ruler/caliper thing that my exmachinist brother gave me, I
read the following measurments in inches:

Overall Length:................ 1.43,  or 1 7/16
Outside Diameter:..............  .84,  or 27/32
Inside (Hole) Diameter.........  .375, or 3/8

Also, on one end is written:  3 6   CLAYFLEX   SAB 930

  The preceeding took me 15 minutes, during which I lost no money,
or possible commission, from missed sales.  REMEMBER, this list, and
books (as well as real life expeirience) is the source for information,
not a parts counter.  If someone will not do you a favor, you have NO
right to complain

Feeling unuasually nasty this morning (sorry),

                                JOE IV
                                TR 250
                           WALLINGFORD, CT. USA

 The guy launcehd into a monologue about