76 TR6 Break Overhaul?

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 76 TR6 Break Overhaul?
From: "M. V. Morelli" <morelli@mickey.jsc.nasa.gov>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 14:36:29 -0600
Cc: "'Morelli, Michael'" <morelli@mickey.jsc.nasa.gov>
Good Day Cyberists,

Recently the breaks on my 76 TR6 daily driver gave way.  A deluge of fluid
under the break master cylinder, and, upon closer inspection, at least one
leaky rear wheel cylinder.  I think I will do a complete break system rebuild
(master cylinder, wheel cylinders, and rubber lines), and then switch to
silicon fluid.  Where I hope to tap the collective knowledge of the group is:

1.  should I replace the rubber break lines (which are well wore)
     with stainless?

2.  are break components from any of the major vendors (TRF, Moss, VB,
     etc.) comparable in quality?

3.  although the calipers look good, is there something I should do to them at
     this time (like rubber rebuild)?

4.  the proportioning valve has a small leak (I've been living with this for 2
     years), should this be replaced?

5.  what components am I probably going to break; those I should have a few
     spares of....

I already have a mighty vac for bleeding the system!  Any other insights,
cautions, or encouragement will be greatly appreciated.

Mike Morelli
76 TR6 daily driver (just not a daily stopper!)
Houston, TX
morelli@mickey.jsc.nasa.gov