Re: Spitfire thrust washers

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfire thrust washers
From: "Brent Martin" <b_martin@lifesci.lscf.ucsb.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 13:00:37 -0700 (PDT)
Well, now I'm even more confused! I got 2 responses to my inquiry about my
Spitfire thrust washers. First:
   ****************
>> The tighter tolerance is for the later 1500 motors, the earlier, wider
>> range is for the 1147 motors.  I'd drop the pan and check them ASAP if
>> I were you.
   ***********
Then:
   *************
>> Its the front/aft movement of the crankshaft, anything that small isn't
>> a problem in my book.
>> The manual states the OEM spec, these wear over time, so I'd suspect
>> 2 times the OEM max might be a good limit.  The shims only come in .005
>> increments, so at 0.010 you'd be hard pressed to put in one thicker
>> and not be under the minimum!
I really appreciate the help but without knowing credentials, I'm unsure
what to follow. Both sound reasonable to me; but auto mechanics is a new
endeavor for me. Anyone else with first-hand experience on how far out of
manufacturer's spec is reason to be concerned about engine damage?

Thanks, brent (b_martin@lifesci.lscf.ucsb.edu - on the digest)