Triumph/SAAB Engines?

To: SAAB@network.mhs.compuserve.com, SAABNowd@network.mhs.compuserve.com, Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Triumph/SAAB Engines?
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 09:06:25 -0500
Sorry to bomb the lists with this, but I am unsure who asked the original
question on a SAAB mailing list.

I also copied the Triumphs list for general interest:

> Does anyone know if it is possible to use a 2L 99 engine in a Triumph. I
> have heard that the 99 and the Triumph had used very similar if not
> identical engines at one point. However, I do not know if this means the
> transmission and mountings are compatible.

I had heard the rumors about the shared engine for a while.  Just last
night, while picking up some parts for my Triumph, I got into a conversation
about SAAB's and Triumph's, including the shared engine.

My understanding, from my conversation last night with a mechanic who worked
for both Triumph and SAAB dealerships, is that the 99(?) and TR7 shared a
block.  I believe it was the 99.  The heads were different, as well as some
ancillaries (FI vs. carbs, etc.), but the block/internals were the same down
to tranny and engine mounts.  Therefore the two would be interchangable.
They may have been manufactured by the same manufacturer (Triumph).

NOTE: I am not speaking from personal experience, only what I hear from a
mechanic who has worked, maybe certified, for each.  Also, I had not seen
your message yet so I was learning mostly for my own curiosity.

If you would like to get more details, drop me a line and I can get you in
contact with this mechanic.  I believe he would be willing to talk with you.

Also, if anyone on either list has more information on this, please let me
know.  I will compile it and forward it to any interested parties.

The following information, provided by Mikael Aronsson, also indicates that
this did occur and provides some history, again:

The Saab 99 was unveiled on November 22, 1967 and went on sale starting with
the 1969 model year (in the late fall of 1968).  The car was at that time