TR3 Steering Colomn Wiring

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3 Steering Colomn Wiring
From: Randy Clark Mike Pontau <grantura@agate.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 20:06:44 -0500 (EST)
Brian,

I installed a new horn button/indicator switch and wires in my TR3a a few
years ago. I had the long tube that runs down the middle of the steering
column out of the car at the time.. a necessary first step, in my opinion.

To remove the tube: Loosen the 3 set screws in the steering wheel. Drain the
oil out of the steering box by loosening the nut, and unhooking the wires
from the wire harness, at the radiator end of the tube. The tube then should
come out. (You'll definately need the hood down for this, as the tube is
really long.)

Next clean the inside of the tube. I used a long threaded rod, and rammed it
in an out until the tube was clean. ( I actually had to grind the threads a
little on this "rod" so that it could just make it into the tube; the
tighter the fit, the more cleaning (scraping) action you'll get.

After several false starts at stuffing the wires down the tube, I discovered
the if I started the wires in one end, and tapped the opposite end gently
with a hammer (protecting the end I was tapping with a piece of wood) , the
wire magically "walked" it's way up the tube. I was really surprised how
quickly this "walking" action happened.

Note on putting things back together. Make sure you use a new "olive" when
putting that nut back on the steering box... the olive is what holds the oil
in the box, and keeps your horn button from turning when you turn you
steering wheel... these "olives" are sold at NAPA , or any Auto Parts place,
but I forget what the American name for them is.

Randy Clark - Dresden Maine
TR7 - race?car,