Bodge of the Month - February

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Bodge of the Month - February
From: Adam Turner <turner@public.se>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 16:52:11 +0100
1) As part of the frame-off restoration of my '74 TR6, I'm doing a
suspension rebuild. Dismantling a rear trailing arm, I noticed that on
one side, someone has replaced the standard bump stop with what looks
like part of a hockey puck glued onto one of those screw-in mountings
for furniture casters. Not only that, but because the new mount didn't
fit the old hole, they'd bored a new, much bigger, hole at a 15 degree
slant to the original. Does this win the "Bodge of the Month" for
February?

What I want to know is, is there some way of repairing the alloy of the
trailing arm and setting a new bore, or have I got to find a new,
hideously expensive, rear trailing arm?

2) The top part of my dashboard support bracket is also broken. This
part (821551) is humungously expensive. If I can get it repaired, a
re-trim kit won't cost much. Is there a method of repairing the soft
metal of this part or is it cream-crackered?

Any suggestions?

Adam Turner
'74 TR6