Re: Spitfire transmissions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfire transmissions
From: DaveFain <kc3565l@sprintmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 09:47:19 -0700
Cc: mggreen@awinc.com
> From: Chris & Ann Green <mggreen@awinc.com>
> Subject: Spitfire Transmissions
>
>         I recently purchased a 68 Spit a wonderful roller skate, but there is
>         a transmission problem. Under deceleration in third gear the gearshift
>         jumps to neutral. This car has a later 4 synchro with overdrive-year
> unknown.
>         No other trans problem is obvious, up and down shifts are smooth and
> O/D works
>         in third and fourth.
>
>         Is this a common problem with these stanpart cars?
>         Could it be a problem with.
>                 1. The selector shaft and plungers
>                 2. Selector fork
>                 3. Synchronizer springs and balls
>                 4. Third gear locating circlip on mainshaft
>                 5. Whatever?
>         Has anyone else had this problem?
>
> Chris Green

The selector shaft and plungers are the first thing the
manuals suggest but I have never actually found this to
be the problem.  The synchro balls and springs are a good
possibility as the springs sometimes break, allowing the
balls to drop into the holes in the synchro hub.  I bought
replacement springs off the rack at a hardware store and
snipped off a few turns to make them the proper length.
That was about ten years ago and they are still working
fine.  If you are lucky, this is the problem.  If you
are not so lucky, the teeth on third gear that mesh with
the synchro sleeve may be worn.  Either way, it's time
for a transmission rebuild.  The selector fork and third
gear circlip don't sound likely.
Dave
1967 GT6